PlayStation VR2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the original PlayStation VR headset, designed for the latest generation of gaming on the PlayStation 5. With its cutting-edge features and advanced technology, the PSVR2 promises to revolutionize the way players experience virtual reality.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the first 15 key features of this new gaming accessory.
- OLED displays: The PSVR2 features two 2000 by 2040 OLED displays, one for each eye. This means the headset can deliver incredible 4K HDR visuals at up to 120 frames per second. With four times the resolution of the original PlayStation VR, players can expect a truly immersive experience with stunning visuals.
- Intelligent Eye Tracking: One of the most exciting features of the PSVR2 is its intelligent eye tracking technology. This allows players to express themselves in new and lifelike ways by tracking their actual eye movements. This can then simulate heightened emotional responses from their in-game avatar, giving a deep sense of realism and intimacy to interactions with a co-op partner or in team chats in multiplayer games.
- Foveated Rendering: Another advanced technology available on the PSVR2 is foveated rendering. This clever technique enriches the graphical fidelity of the areas of the game on which the player’s eyes are focused while maintaining stable game performance. This enhances the player’s sense of presence within the virtual environment and ensures the best possible on-screen image.
- Field of View and Adjustable Lenses: The PSVR2 boasts a 110-degree field of view, providing players with an amazing sense of presence within virtual environments. Additionally, the headset features adjustable Fresnel lenses, allowing players to tweak the spacing between lenses to match their individual eye position for the best on-screen image possible.
- Tempest 3D Audio Tech: With compatible headphones, players can enjoy the PS5’s built-in Tempest 3D Audio Tech, which, combined with the immersion of the PSVR2, allows players to sense a character’s presence, locate friends and enemies by in-game noises, and experience audio that dynamically adapts to their position and head movements as they play.
- Headset Feedback: The PSVR2 offers a unique gameplay experience with subtle responsive headset vibrations, simulating things like an arrow whistling past the player’s head or the power and thrust of a speedy vehicle. This feature, powered by a built-in motor, adds an extra level of immersion to the player’s experience.
- Four Built-in Tracking Cameras: PSVR2 comes with four tracking cameras built into the headset, so all your movements can be captured without the need for an external camera. This makes setup much simpler and more convenient, allowing you to jump straight into the action.
- Comfort and Anti-fogging: In addition to the advanced technology, PSVR2 has also been designed with comfort in mind. The headset is slightly slimmer and lighter compared to the original PlayStation VR, and it features vents to allow for airflow and reduced fogging. The headset also has adjustable straps, so you can get the perfect fit for your head and start playing right away.
- See-through View: The see-through view function is a helpful feature that allows you to look through the headset at the real world. This is particularly useful for quick breaks from the game or for checking on your surroundings.
- Orb Design Sense Controllers: The PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers are an innovative new addition to the VR experience. They feature a sleek orb design and allow for incredibly precise movements and gestures with both hands. The controllers also have haptic feedback, which provides realistic responses to your in-game actions and enhances the immersion even further.
- Haptic Feedback: The haptic feedback offers a nuanced range of sensations, from gentle vibrations to intense pulses. This makes playing games on PSVR2 feel incredibly tactile, and the addition of the adaptive triggers only adds to this. The adaptive triggers give you dynamic resistance in each controller, making it feel like you are actually experiencing the tension in a bowstring or the kick of a weapon firing.
- Adaptive Triggers: The Finger Touch Detection is a magical feature that allows you to reach out and touch the virtual world around you. The controllers can detect the placement of your fingers even when you’re not pressing a button, making it feel like you are actually grasping and manipulating objects in-game.
- Grip Button for Interactive Virtual World: The grip button is another intuitive feature that allows you to interact with the virtual world and grab objects in-game. This button is placed in an easily accessible location, making it quick and simple to use.
- Requires a PS5: To play PSVR2, you will need a PlayStation 5, but connecting the headset is as simple as plugging in a single USB cable. With the advanced technology, immersive VR experiences, and innovative controllers, PSVR2 promises to take the VR experience to a whole new level.
- Loads of Exciting Games on the Way: There are a multitude of exciting PSVR2 games already on the way, including Horizon Call of the Mountain, Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge Enhanced Edition. The full list of games can be found on the PlayStation blog, and players can expect a wealth of exciting new experiences to enjoy.
PlayStation VR2 will be available on February 22nd, 2023.
PlayStation VR2 is the future of virtual reality, and with its advanced technology, innovative controllers, and wide range of exciting games, players are in for a truly immersive experience. The release of PSVR2 is just around the corner, and players can expect to take their VR adventures to the next level.