On Saturday, an American fighter jet, on the orders of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, shot down another unidentified flying object (UFO), according to Canadian and American officials. This is the latest twist in the ongoing drama playing out over the skies of North America.
In a statement posted on Twitter, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said, “I ordered the take down of an unidentified object that violated Canadian airspace.” He confirmed that an American F-22 fighter jet with the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), which is jointly operated by the United States and Canada, “shot down the object over the Yukon.”
I ordered the take down of an unidentified object that violated Canadian airspace. @NORADCommand shot down the object over the Yukon. Canadian and U.S. aircraft were scrambled, and a U.S. F-22 successfully fired at the object.— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) February 11, 2023
The Prime Minister stated that he had spoken with President Biden on Saturday afternoon. He also added in his Twitter post that “Canadian Forces will now recover and analyze the wreckage of the object.” Trudeau thanked NORAD for keeping watch over North America.
In a statement, NORAD said that it had “positively identified a high-altitude airborne object over Northern Canada.” However, they declined to discuss specifics.
Meanwhile, military troops from the U.S. Northern Command were working with Alaska National Guard units, the FBI, and local law enforcement to recover the still unidentified flying object that President Biden ordered shot down on Friday.
U.S. Northern Command Update on Recovery Operations, Feb. 11, 2023 pic.twitter.com/ImGmZSDNN9— U.S. Northern Command (@USNorthernCmd) February 11, 2023
Defense Department officials stated that the recovery activities were taking place on sea ice, in freezing temperatures, and in limited daylight near Deadhorse, Alaska. The officials added that the service members were moving slowly to maintain safety, adjusting their pace to the harsh conditions.
The Pentagon said in a statement that they “have no further details at this time about the object, including its capabilities, purpose, and origin.”
The disclosure on Friday that an American F-22 fighter jet had shot down an object in the sky for the second time in several days has sparked another week of high-altitude tensions between Washington and Beijing.
The tensions were previously stirred by the discovery of a Chinese spy balloon in American skies in late January that was brought down on February 4.
At around 9 p.m. Alaska time on Thursday, American radar picked up an unidentified object entering American airspace. U.S. Northern Command sent an AWACS surveillance aircraft, accompanied by an aerial refueling plane, to track it.
On Friday, officials stated that they could not determine if the object was a balloon, but it was traveling at an altitude that posed a potential threat to civilian aircraft.
President Biden ordered the object to be shot down “out of an abundance of caution,” according to John F. Kirby, a spokesman for the National Security Council, in a press briefing on Friday. A U.S. official said that there were “no affirmative indications of military threat” to people on the ground from the object, which was shot down over the Arctic Ocean near Canada.